Saturday

Click Tricks and the Winner!

The first thing I want to address is prints! Quality prints are the best way to display your photographs. Time and time again, I see people pay for high quality photography. They buy the digital negatives and then order prints from their local photo lab. I don't want to bag on all the photo labs around town. They are fine and great for your day to day snapshots. But if you are going to invest in good photography, it's equally important that you order quality prints. Let me try to explain the main difference between professional prints and your local in-house market printing.

1. VERSATILITY: Most local labs are limited to specific sizes that a machine generates in high quantities. There is usually only one, maybe two options for paper. Matte or Glossy. At a professional lab, I have the option of choosing from many paper selections so that I can use one that will best display your photo(s). Also, I have the option of printing in custom sizes and very very large sizes. Most local labs are not equipped to print larger than 11x14 and really are only best for 5x7's and 4x6's. Similarly, they are not able to mount your photos for wall displays. There are just many many options a run-of-the-mill lab cannot provide.

2. QUALITY: At a professional lab, the overall quality of everything is going to be better. Better paper, better color, and better service. This translates into your pictures looking their BEST! And isn't that why we pay for professional photographs? Also, at a pro lab, your prints are not going to be printed by inkjets like most local labs, but rather developed on real photo paper like a true photograph. This is where a huge difference in quality comes into play. I also make sure they are UV treated so they will not fade with time. Additionally, at a pro lab, their machines are calibrated to my monitor specifically, ensuring that your prints come out exactly the way they look on my screen. This means accurate light, color and sharpness. Consistency. Machines at your store have a computer algorithm that automatically adjusts your photos for better or for worse. Which brings me to #3...

3. SERVICE: Unlike local labs, at a pro lab, there are professionally trained people in the industry with lots of experience. They have a great knowledge about photography and printing. A human personally reviews, with their own eyes, every set of prints before printing to make sure everything is spot on. They don't rely on the machine to make sure everything looks good. And they will call me if there is any question about how a print is going to turn out. When was the last time your supermarket called you to make sure your print was accurate? At a market, the machine automatically "fixes" your photos. This usually causes your prints to turn out differently than how they look when I present them to you. I manually adjust your photos while editing to make sure colors are accurate. My photo lab ensures that your prints look just like the photos I show you.

I feel there is a lot of misunderstanding out there about how professional photographers price their prints. Many people want to purchase the disk so that they can pay $0.20 for a 4x6 as opposed to $1, $5 or $10. They think they are getting more for their money by operating this way. They don't take in account that a quality photographer has a lot expenses to produce great quality and great looking photographs. The amount they charge on prints may not be the actual cost of the print, but rather a way for them to build in the costs of their business. This is a common way that photographers do their pricing. The sitting fees are usually not enough to cover the business costs of being a photographer, let alone make any profit. Also, quality prints do cost a minimal percentage more than your local labs. But hopefully you realize after reading this, that it is worth the extra cost! The only way to preserve your memories is with high quality prints that will last AND look good!

This year, I decided to change my price structure. I want you to realize that photographers aren't just overcharging you for prints. However, I feel like this seems to deter people from buying professional prints. I just don't think its worth it. I want you to have professional prints. I want the photos you display in your home to reflect the quality of photography you invested in. So here's what I've done...

I've changed my sitting fees to more accurately reflect the costs of running my business. You aren't paying for overpriced prints. You are paying for time, talent and quality. And I've lowered my print prices to encourage EVERYONE to order their prints thru me. It is worth it. If you still want the digital negatives, I understand. I've offered an option for purchasing it, but when you do, a printing credit is included b/c I STILL want you to get your prints thru me. That is how important I think quality printing is.

So, have I made believers out of you yet????

Now... onto the winner of my mini session!

The winner was selected by random.org this morning.

AND THE WINNER IS.....

Becca Vaughn--My baby girl is 5 months old and I STILL don't have cute professional pictures of her!

CONGRATS Becca Vaughn! Please email me to claim your win!

Don't worry people... we will be doing this again. So stay tuned for more giveaway opportunities throughout the year. And email me if you'd like to book your mini session in March!

1 comment:

jody said...

Hey Kassandra! Fabulous pics! Love it! I guess we need to do a "real" family photo for once...especially since I can find you right next door. Sad that we never see you guys. We should plan a get together! xoxo Jody B